The Revised New Jerusalem Bible
RNJB: Study Edition
The very first full-text edition of the Revised New Jerusalem Bible (RNJB) – a Bible for study and proclamation.
The text of the Revised New Jerusalem Bible and the accompanying footnotes have been granted the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, declaring that they are considered to be free from doctrinal or moral error.
This exciting new text presents anew the scholarship, character and clarity of the 1966 Jerusalem Bible (the first modern English version) and the 1985 New Jerusalem Bible. The RNJB prioritises accuracy of translation and richness of tone, capturing the rigour and poetry of the original JB for new generations.
This volume contains the entire biblical text with a comprehensive set of study notes, cross references and book introductions.
Publication date: July 30th, 2019.
* ‘Clear read’ style. The biblical scriptures were written to be proclaimed, so the RNJB uses linguistic style and speech patterns best suited for being read out loud.
* Formal equivalence. The language, concepts and imagery of the original scriptures are presented more accurately by the RNJB than the colloquial approach of many other modern translations.
* Gender inclusion. The message of the Bible is for all people, so care has been taken to avoid traditional male bias of the English language, while remaining faithful to the meaning of the original scriptures.
* Revised Grail Psalter. The book of Psalms is based on the text of the 2010 translation of The Revised Grail Psalms.
*Modern measurements. Ancient systems of measuring and timing have been replaced by modern, metric equivalents.
* Comprehensive study notes. The notes, cross-references and book introductions of the JB and NJB are replaced in the RNJB by new materials which reflect the fruit of the most
up-to-date and ecumenical scholarship.
RNJB: New Testament and Psalms
"The Revised New Jerusalem Bible: New Testament and Psalms is an outstanding piece of work."
Nicholas King, The Tablet
The Revised New Jerusalem Bible presents anew the scholarship, character and clarity of the 1966 Jerusalem Bible (the first modern English version) and the 1985 New Jerusalem Bible. It is a Bible that prioritises accuracy of translation and richness of tone, written that ‘the message might be fully proclaimed’ (2 Ti 4:17).
This volume presents the full New Testament and the Psalms, and a comprehensive set of study notes, cross-references and book introductions.
The Revised New Jerusalem Bible has been prepared and edited by The Revd Henry Wansbrough OSB, who was previously General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible.